Wednesday 29 March 2023

*** THE MONARCH full live set + ANTLER ***

THE MONARCH / ANTLER / CHUNKASAURUS


@TERMINAL BAR in NANAIMO on March 25th, 2023

Live Show Review

     So first things first...I'm old. About a week ago my back acted up again and I was unable to stand for more than 30 minutes. Although it was on the mend, by the time The Monarch got off the stage, I walked back to my vehicle, took a 15-minutes sit-down in my car, and then walked back to the venue to catch Chunkasaurus...they hadn't even started setting up. So I left. I was pretty bummed but I'm also glad I was self-aware enough to negate further injury, and I am stoked to say that now I'm back to 100% and could watch a show for hours with no issue. Therefore, there is no Chunkasaurus review because I didn't get to see them.

ANTLER
     This local band opened the show and they have some serious chops, with all members being very proficient at their instruments, but the vocalist and backup singer/bassist both had very, very good voices to the point where I was pretty blown away that I was witnessing the layered melodies live in real-time. Unfortunately I took a video of what I considered to be the slowest and weakest of all their songs, but it's still really good! Hopefully I'll get to see them again and I can record one of their bangers which amalgamate the stylings of Incubus and Alice In Chains but did it without the cheese that I find buried in some alternative music.

(2023) ANTLER live
^\/`~~~~---------------00oOo00---------------~~~~'\/^

THE MONARCH
     The reason I went to this show was because after discovering these local post-metal heroes (thanks Trez!) I had been itching to see them live. Did they disappoint? Fuck no. They were incredible and the crowd responded in turn, smashing out a ridiculous 40-minute set that included a Thrice cover and their brank new single "God I Hope". The two singles from the band's new album are absolutely sensational and bring to mind Isis, Sarin, Mares Of Thrace, Moving Mountains, and the like, providing lush soundscapes, menacing screams, massive chugs, and even some gorgeous clean-sung vocals. I hadn't planned on filming the entire set but they were just so damn good I pieced together the videos and have embedded it below with track titles. If you haven't checked out THE MONARCH yet and even slightly enjoy those previous bands then you are missing out!
(2023) THE MONARCH Full Set
^\/`~~~~---------------00oOo00---------------~~~~'\/^

~

No comments:

Post a Comment