Monday 20 February 2023

***MARES OF THRACE w/Liminal Shroud + Tribunal live show review***

MARES OF THRACE / LIMINAL SHROUD / TRIBUNAL


@WICKET HALL in VICTORIA on February 18th, 2023

Live Show Review

     After getting very into MARES OF THRACE when this blog first started back in 2013, it was a goddamned no brainer to go see them in live - especially considering I didn't need to take a dang ferry (2.5 hours each way) like the Vancouver shows I tend to frequent. The band and I also did a podcast together late last year (linked here). So my friend Hayden from Thank You Driver and I hopped in my dying van and made the 1.5 hour drive south.

     The show was much bigger than I had anticipated, with a line-up around the corner and a very interesting/unique venue that I would probably conclude at this point was pretty peculiar but definitely allowed a great view of the stage regardless of your position in the multi-leveled baseball-diamond-esque floor.

MARES OF THRACE
     Taking the stage with commanding authority second was the two-piece Calgary doom metal/hardcore that was the reason for my trip. They slayed and their new material sounds even better live, although they definitely dipped into some old favourites from 'The Pilgrimage' which got the crowd moving from headbanging to moshing. You'll notice that in the videos Casey seems non-existent as I found out early in "Dark Harbours" during an extreme zoom in) but I assure you that he was kicking ass on drums behind the lights and haze.
(2023) MARES OF THRACE "The Perpetrator" (from 'The Pilgrimage')
https://youtu.be/3HGODIF24VE
For fans ofKokeshi and Oathbreaker

extra videos: "Onward, Ever Onward" / "In All Her Glory" / "Dark Harbours"
^\/`~~~~---------------00oOo00---------------~~~~'\/^

LIMINAL SHROUD
     I recently saw this Victoria-based atmospheric black-metal trio in Nanaimo with Hexis on the first date of their prodigious 40+ day Canadian tour last year (linked here). Their set was the driving, pummeling, and explosive onslaught that I had remembered as they ripped through six-ish minute speed marathons with pukey vocals.
(2023) LIMINAL SHROUD
https://youtu.be/Qacey9uf_CU

For fans ofSpectral Wound and Hope Drone

^\/`~~~~---------------00oOo00---------------~~~~'\/^

TRIBUNAL
     This Vancouver five-piece played their new record in it's entirety. The band played (from what I gathered, as I'm not really well-versed in this style) goth-driven doom metal utilizing two of their instrumentalists as vocalists, one delivering death growls and the other haunting singing.
(2023) TRIBUNAL
For fans of: goth / doom / black metal

^\/`~~~~---------------00oOo00---------------~~~~'\/^

No comments:

Post a Comment