Thursday 13 October 2022

*** WORKS exclusive song premiere ***

WORKS
"Punishment"
exclusive song premiere
For fans ofNo Knife, The Plan, North Of America, Yoo Doo Right, The Mark Inside, The Advantage, and Life In Vacuum

Bandcamp
Facebook

orders open November 1st, 2022 via Tomb Tree

     If you've spoken to me about music for more than a few hours than you know that Girl Arm's 'Outside Language' is one of my favourite albums of all time. Absolute math/noise-rock/post-hardcore perfection. The band then released more material in a much more 80s new wave/indie/post-punk way and I enjoyed it but it just didn't click. Very recently they changed their name from Girl Arm to WORKS and recorded a new full length LP and sent it to me because I've been such a fan of their work in the past (as well as their previous band Hey, Predator!). I was unsure how it would resonate with me. I jammed it. I thought it was pretty good! Deserves a second listen. After the second time around I realized this was much mathier than their previous few outings and kind of mixed the 'Outside Language' era with the sounds of New Order and No Knife, creating a very unique and quirky math-rock/post-punk/indie rock/experimental hybrid that is, simply put, the WORKS. Then I listened to it 40 more times and I'm absolutely obsessed. Full album releases on 12"LP /100 November 1st, 2022 on Tomb Tree.

(2022) WORKS "Punishment" (from 'Is there a head in there')

     First off, this absolute banger is the shortest track off the 10-song LP, clocking in at a mere 1:28 of extremely concise, jangly, mathy, but somehow dancey-as-fuck experimental noise-rock with a bit of shoegaze shine and and indie rock edge. The song uses two ridiculously strong sections and stacks them on top of each other twice. The first part is the super-groovy, discordant, playful math rock section that wraps up its first take after just 20 seconds. The second part feels like the listener is shot out into space as the band blasts off with deep, pounding bass and drums amidst two rocket-fueled guitars and vocals that are almost lost to the sheer velocity of the instrumentals. Now repeat the first and second part. Now we're done. Now jam that shit again and you'll likely find even more to like, as this band always has my synapses firing thanks to the intricate, weaving guitars and awesome/interesting melodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment