Tuesday 18 October 2022

*** SOUL CRUSHER exclusive EP premiere ***

SOUL CRUSHER
'Soul Crusher'exclusive album premiere
For fans ofRadiohead, The Postal Service, Life In Vacuum and Death Cab For Cutie


     I've known Sasha since 2013 when I went to see a Life In Vacuum show because I was aware that he and his brother also played in Congratulations who I was desperately trying to meet and release their demo (which happened 😁). We hit it off immediately and I also became immediately obsessed with Life In Vacuum. Jeez it's coming up on 10 years now, so I guess it makes sense that Sasha let me know about a year ago that he was working on solo material. I was sent four tracks and immediately let him know that I had a new, softer label that would love to release it. He said yes. Then about 8 months went by and all of a sudden I had six mastered tracks in my mailbox. Then I made tapes. Then he made a music video. And now we're here.

     The tapes are being released on Softseed Music /40, 15 on opaque red swirl, 10 on transparent red swirl, 10 red, and 5 test dips with matching swirl case. The digital release is tomorrow but the tapes are up for order on the Zegema Beach Records website for now, linked here. I also spoke with Sasha about the project which is available to read under the full stream so you can jam'n'read!


(2022) SOUL CRUSHER 'Soul Crusher' full stream


Do you remember the first time the idea of a solo project popped into your head?
SASHA: I believe like over 10 years ago. Maybe In Rainbows by Radiohead was a bit of a push haha.

When did you push yourself to start writing for it?
SASHA: That first demo was recorded during our first tour to NFLD with Mighty Atom from KW. Like over 10 years I think or around. But recording process started just on whim during first winter of COVID. Tour was in 2011.

Wow so four of the six songs were written in 2011?
SASHA: No just “I know you” is from 2011. Rest basically towards the end of first year of pandemic and up until now I guess.

What was the writing process like for SOUL CRUSHER?
SASHA: Well it was just like dead covid winter in January in Toronto with not much going on. I had these riffs written strictly in like an emo tuning(don’t remember what it was originally) and I was thinking of maybe recording some of those alternative sounding ones for like a thing just for fun. So I did but immediately it expanded on its own, I added drums bass then synth then vox then more layers and it just struck me that it can be more then just that. So next I pulled the old demo and redid it with like rearranged everything. And after that over the next year I think I finished all 6. Then kinda put it on a shelf for a year. Then decided maybe it’s time haha.

When did you decide on the name Soul Crusher? Why?
SASHA: I think first came this other song by this other band(to be released in the future) and then I borrowed it too cuz it sounded good, It could be a grindcore band name too.

Does the name hold anything special for you? Is the music meant to crush souls? Is the music a response to your soul being crushed?
SASHA: In its original use (a song) it was a bad guy reference for someone who’s just ready to crush everyone mentally and emotionally at any moment. The name itself seems dark and evil and really stands for something sinister and I thought it would be cool to put it along side something maybe more light hearted on the outside and dark on the inside if that makes sense. I thought that everyone would expect a metal band so I wanted to plant a surprise haha.

I expected a doom band for sure lol

Would you write the instrumentals before the lyrics or for this project was it kind of the other way around?
SASHA: Writing wise it still started usually with a guitar riff except Stuck In Between(that started with synth and drums idea) I would record the riff and start playing bass synth over it until I’d come up with some kind of drum beat and then just develop slowly from there. Vocal ideas still at the end.

Did you already have topics in mind when writing or did you sit down and say hmmmmm what should I write about?
SASHA: Yeah it’s all from random stuff that comes out of nowhere on the spot just because I need lyrics and I try to just build up and up and then keep it simple and short.

Any topics from the lyrics that you wanted to talk about directly?
It’s hard to even pin point exact topics at the time of writing. This stuff is more of a float of thought that evolved by the time I finished recording. The first song is about waking up and feeling like shit and being blinded by the sun and questioning your existence. Second is about realizing that the relationship you are in is over and realizing you are stuck and trying to get out but can’t tell the partner. Third is just lyrics about knowing someone well enough to not get surprised or bothered by their bullshit anymore. Fourth is about trying to control things and maybe realizing that it’s time to let go. Fifth is about just having one day to spend with someone and that’s it. Sixth is about just feeling the pressure of people watching or having to behave proper constantly and not having a chance to relax and let go.

Are you planning to play live?
SASHA: I’m not opposed to it. But it would be a bit of an undertaking just to get everyone to learn parts of off recording but probably in the future at some point.

Ah so maybe but not something you're pushing at the moment.
SASHA: I think I wanted to kind of prove it to myself that I can do it. The next step I guess could be putting the band together for live!

Ahhh makes sense!

Did you want to say anything about Ukraine?
SASHA: About Ukraine. At this point everyone knows what’s happening in Ukraine. Me and my family moved to Canada in 2004 and stayed in touch with our roots our friends and family back home and it’s really horrifying to see how they are living every day in fear of another strike or another bombing. But they are strong together! To those who care and willing there are many ways to help or donate money to those in need there right now! To Russians please go the fuck back home

Are there any particular charities and places to donate that you'd recommend?
SASHA: I don't know, I donated to a Toronto second front but honestly there's so many that do different things some people want to donate money some people med kits some people cloth some people donate to military so I don't wanna say like hey give to one not the other. The one I donated is my friends part of it but they help with military stuff too and some people are like anti-violence so I'd just rather not say. It's very easy to find and pick one.

Do you have plans to write/record more music under Soul Crusher?
Hoping to!

Music Video!!!

Variants!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment