Tuesday 27 October 2015

***THE WORLD THAT SUMMER / LIFE IN VACUUM / KEN MODE show review***

THE WORLD THAT SUMMER
Years of searching for a local punk/hardcore/screamo/emoviolence/whatever band to join or start finally culminated in the first show that THE WORLD THAT SUMMER played on Thursday October 22nd, the band for which I scream. We play a strange concoction of punk, screamo, metallic hardcore and post-hardcore that I know is influenced by bands such as Amber, Loma Prieta, Via Fondo, Old Soul, Young Mountain, Circle Takes The Square and La Quiete. I think a less heavy but faster version of Amber is most apt, but when Jesse sings I definitely hear more of an early Alexisonfire vibe. We were insanely lucky to be asked to play a local show with KEN MODE and LIFE IN VACUUM to which I responded with, "holy shit". We were asked to find another band to hop on the show so I contacted my good friends in WORST GIFT and voila, a stupidly good first show. So below is our closer called "The Standard Gravity of Impending Doom" and the entire rest of our set is linked here.

WORST GIFT
I've reviewed WORST GIFT a bunch of times from their live shows but I'm still bummed I missed recording a song (I kept waiting for the next one and then...poof, they were done) especially because they played a new and unreleased song which was as good as my favourite song "Immoral Inventory" which I've decided to link instead from a show earlier this year. Their 12"EP should be dropping in December on Zegema Beach Records.






LIFE IN VACUUM
I found out that my good buds in LIV were playing a new song from an upcoming split. I recorded said song. It's awesome. It really takes a step into robotic territory with the grinding, machinist effect on the guitars. The song is of yet untitled (I think) and is linked below. Grab their split with Joliette now because that shit is ridiculous.

GARRETT JAMIESON
I didn't get a video, but I caught about 15 minutes of Garrett Jamieson's comedy set and was impressed. His ability to weave a story and distract drunk men away from potential fights were definitely memorable. Be sure to check him out.

KEN MODE
KEN MODE came in from Winnipeg to kick our collective ass. The snarling sounds of their new record 'Success' were recreated live with additional visceral intensity, and a few songs from past albums, including "The Terror Pulse" and "Romeo Must Die". Definitely check them out. This is the video for "These Tight Jeans" and it was spot-fucking-on.

No comments:

Post a Comment