Tuesday 15 November 2022

*** LOWER AUTOMATION exclusive song premiere ***

LOWER AUTOMATION
"Guzzler"
exclusive song premiere
For fans of
Dillinger Escape Plan, One Day As A Lion, At The Drive In and Cave In

     Chicago's mathy noise rock veterans were kicking around for quite a few years before I caught wind of them. In early 2021 the band sent me their self-titled debut LP and I kinda lost my mind over it. 'Lower Automation' is honestly one of the sickest, most awesome records to ever jump into my earholes. I had zero expectations. I knew nothing. Now...well, now I apparently know everything and I drag around what has to be ridiculous expectations. But, in true LOWER AUTOMATION fashion, they blew me out of the water and I still haven't landed yet.

     Just over a year after their self-titled breakout 12" the three-piece is back with a whopping 12 new jams that'll leave you scratching your head while trying to bust some moves. It's a weird dance, there's no denying it. But that's the appeal of LOWER AUTOMATION. Want repeating sections? Fuck you. Looking for that simple hook or groove that you can lean into? Oops you just fell flat on the floor. The band's sophomore full length 'Strobe Light Shadow Play' simultaneously houses the most abrasive, chaotic, and weird concoctions by the band to date, but also the most melodic with a few songs that sport clean singing and dare I say "melodies".

     Vocalist/guitarist Derek Allen had this to say about "Guzzler":

This was one of my favorite songs to write lyrics for. It's kinda about how buying and consuming things is instilled in us from birth, which I think creates an emptiness in us and fuels a cycle of using these things as a distraction from how abysmal we feel.

     The full 12"LP releases in full on November 22nd via Zegema Beach Records on 200 eco-mix vinyl. These are in hand and ship the week of release.


(2022) LOWER AUTOMATION "Guzzler" (from 'Strobe Light Shadow Play')

     This mid-album track is a clusterfuck of awesomeness and weirdness. It begins with a gargling intro reminiscent of being swallowed into the Matrix, followed by extremely elegant and swirling/spacey Cave In-esque guitars with Derek's classic yelp (not entirely different from Cedric's At The Drive In wail). There's even a broken synthy part reminiscent of Zack De La Rocha's One Day As A Lion. This track offers just a taste of the infinite math soup that 'Strobe Light Shadow Play' has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment