Thursday 11 July 2013

***SHOW*** Loma Prieta / Fucking Invincible / Creeper / Pretty Mouth


Last night - July 10th, 2013, I hit up the SoyBomb in Toronto, Ontario with my buddy Matt. Long story short - there were 4 bands.
________________________________________________________________________
1 - the closer - LOMA PRIETA
 
 
LOMA PRIETA - the drummer destroying your life...live (aka "Silhouettes" and "Punxx'nup")
 
They killed it, as always. I've seen them play in Toronto 4 times in 19 months! That is dedication to touring. They no longer have 'The Hair', and their new bassist had no problems gelling nicely.
 
 ________________________________________________________________________ 
 2 - the second last - FUCKING INVINCIBLE
 
FUCKING INVINCIBLE - crazy breakdown at the 1-minute mark...live
 
 
FUCKING INVINCIBLE acted as if they were just that. Was that tape wrapped around the singer's arm for the duration of their set? Yes, it was. Was the singer's head bleeding profusely? Why, yes! Fantastic guesses! I wasn't 100% down with the music, but they were one of the best bands I've seen in a while.
 
 









 
________________________________________________________________________
3 - the second (this number system is confusing) - CREEPER
 
 
I quickly sampled a song by this band before I left and thought they sounded kind of like Graf Orlock. When I came back in after getting a quick bite, they were already playing - and in about 2 minutes my head was violently thrashing around along to this great metal/hardcore/grind band. For fans of Graf Orlock, Cassilis and Phoenix Bodies.
 

________________________________________________________________________
4 - the opener - PRETTY MOUTH



PRETTY MOUTH played music that was anything but pretty - I'm sure that's the point of the name. As you can see in the first picture, as they set up, I was expecting some metal, but  once the shirt came off and the mask went on, what I got was a horror show. They played very raw, down-tuned sludge/doom metal. Although I didn't like the music as much as Matt, I certainly appreciated the theatrics.



No comments:

Post a Comment