Friday 23 August 2013

***MAHRIA / FOR WANT OF / + + / MANELI JAMAL*** live in Toronto - review


On August 21st, 2013 I hit up the Izakaya Sushi House in Toronto, Ontario on my lonesome - there were 4 performances.
________________________________________________________________________
1 - MAHRIA
 
The closer. I had heard MAHRIA before, but only in passing and I never paid them much mind. That changed at 11:47pm last night. Holy crap this is a group of extremely talented musicians! I am giving the vocals another listen, because initially they rubbed me the wrong way. Check out the video below of the first 4 minutes of their set. For fans of Off Minor, Spirit Of Versailles and Kylesa.
 
 
 (the mic's were NOT loud enough - luckily I was but a foot from the vocalist)
 
Stuff for sale:
 ________________________________________________________________________ 
 2 - FOR WANT OF
 
This band was the reason for my trip to the show - as I did a video interview with all 4 guys that will be posted at the end of September. FOR WANT OF play a lightning-fast yet melodic brand of hardcore/screamo. If you're a fan of Hot Cross, Hugs or Lord Snow - check them out!

 
Stuff for sale:

________________________________________________________________________
3 - + +
 
I missed the first half of this band's set. Here's a video from the second-half. It's not really my thing - but I could see people who enjoy crust/hardcore/punk liking this band. There were definitely moments where I was digging it.
 
 

________________________________________________________________________
4 - MANELI JAMAL

The opener was seriously out of place. I thought I was going to feel bad for him. Then he started playing and I watched the members in the other bands become mesmerized by this guy as he rocked out for 20 minutes. He is somehow able to sound like 3 people - 2 guitarists and a drummer. I wish I recorded his first song, as it was the best example of his ability to play lullabies that build it into a powerful crescendo that utilizes every string on his guitar, and he provides drums using his fingers and palm! I picked up some cds that will be available at the ZEGEMA BEACH RECORDS online store in September. I think literally everyone will appreciate this video!

 
 
 
Stuff for sale:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment