Thursday 22 August 2024

*** SUTRAS exclusive song premiere ***

SUTRAS
"A Daily Reprieve"
exclusive song premiere
For fans of
Lagrimas, Caravels, Roman Lions and Kowloon Walled City

Full release is Aug 30th

     Today's premiere is from Washington D.C.'s SUTRAS. I was sent their debut two-song EP and I gravitated hard. The second track "A Daily Reprieve" really spoke to me, with luscious, sprawling guitar work over sludgy, yelly, post-hardcore/screamo. The band describes themselves as strange blend of melodic crust punk such as Lagrimas, slow heavy shoegaze like Jesu, post hardcore like Majority Rule and a kinship with a band like 108, which all checks out. The recording were done at Developing Nations in Baltimore and mastered by James Plotkin. The two-piece (who uses additional members live) had this to say about "A Daily Reprieve":

Once upon a time - when I was about 13 years old I got kicked out of middle school for smoking pot and unknowingly selling somebody dirt that I thought was drugs. I got in a lot of trouble and from 13-23, I got arrested at least once a year and stayed on probation or some form of supervision. When I went to the new school I was sent to I decided that in order to get my life together I would be Straight Edge - being from Virginia outside D.C. of course that seemed like a cool thing to do. Well that lasted maybe about two weeks as I couldn't make any friends, I was awkward, hated myself and my surroundings - I found the one thing I knew and for years... upon years, drugs became the focal point of my life. Of course during those years I heard sXe bands in all sorts of genres and truthfully I thought it was cool - but since I was so not that - I could never truly identify. I'll spare the bad details - but after being clean from drugs and alcohol for 14 years now and finding a form of spirituality - I wanted to write a straight edge song. I wanted to write a straight edge song that spoke about how fucking hard it is to to be straight when you want nothing more than to escape reality. That's why my first line in the song is "I'm so fucking clean it hurts".

(2024) SUTRAS "A Daily Reprieve" (from 'Awakening of the Spirit')

No comments:

Post a Comment